Monday, October 25, 2010

Brush Strokes

We have a rush hour in our home- it starts at dinnertime and ends with bedtime.  The two or so hours in between always seem to be crazy- I'm crazy making dinner, Jason is crazy shifting from work to home and the kids are just crazy all around- hungry, getting tired, and so excited to see Jason.
Dinnertime crazies

It makes it difficult to ask much of anyone.  The kids don't want to sit through dinner, much less the three verse scripture study that we have immediately following.  Tonight, after listening to what seemed like an entire book of scripture whispered by Jason and repeated by Leah, I asked if we could be done.  Then Jason told me that it had only been two verses.  Ouch!

And as I struggled to keep the attention of the kids through my one-and-a-half minute lesson for Family Home Evening, the words of this talk popped into my head.

Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable... but our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33). 
And then I prayed that this promise is actually true because some days I feel pretty weary.  But we'll continue on, even if our scripture study is mostly looking at pictures in the Gospel Art book and our Family Home Evening lesson revolves around making chocolate bar parachutes. 
Which was pretty cool, I must say.

4 comments:

Erin_C said...

needed this post tonight. our FHE usually consists of carly clapping after we sing a primary song, and then throwing plastic animals for the duration of my one-and-a-half minute lesson :) i keep telling myself at least we are trying.

Maggie & Nate said...

I love my Rohnan always laughs when we kneel to say a prayer...so Nate & I just laugh too...then we pray but it is so funny. We usually read him a Jesus taught parables to kids book for FHE. Great thoughts Melanie! :0)

Melody said...

You inspire me.

Erica said...

i hear ya - sounds exactly like our home. i wrestle with the kiddos trying to keep them from somersaulting off the couch while we read from the book of mormon reader and i wonder if they're getting it. but they are. we just don't see it all yet :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...