Sunday, October 17, 2010

Teach Me Joy

I had my second chance to teach Joy School this week, and I'm here to report.  I like Joy School- I like that Leah is getting the preschool experience without the classroom setting (or price tag!), I like that she is learning new things and getting 5 hours of friend time every week with minimal effort.  I like seeing her excitement when she shares with me the things she has learned and created.

I like the weeks that I get to send Leah off to another home, and I like the weeks that I get to teach, too.  There are 3 girls and 4 boys in the class, and keeping them engaged and relatively calm for the duration of the class can get tricky.  But for the most part, they are all happy to be there, happy to be together, and happy to be learning.
I never had the desire to teach elementary school, and while I still don't, I certainly do appreciate those that do.  And I can see the pure joy that comes from teaching children something new- something that they actually did not know before.  Of course, in this case, it's things like where raisins come from, what is on the insides of our bodies, and whether or not clouds are actually made out of cotton balls... I can imagine teaching a child to read and write, and I can understand why the joy of teaching is just as real as the joy of learning.

1 comment:

beapinkal said...

look at you, you Miss Melanie:) You are amazing and i'm sure all the kids love having you around. And i'm sure Leah is so proud that her mom is a teacher:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...