Summer kept marching on as we made our way into August. Adam dedicated many of his days to loving Laney.
Daddy and I took our first ever overnight trip in which we left the driving and quite capable kids at home to take care of each other. They went to the movies on Saturday and all reports confirmed that they had a great time without us.
Talk about a milestone- leaving our kids at home alone overnight! I remember the days when I finally figured out how to safely pop over to the grocery store without taking anyone with me, and before that the days when I could finally safely get into the shower by myself without having to situate a baby in a bouncer just outside the bathroom door. Milestones!
Jason and I had a lovely time in Nauvoo for our stake president retreat. We stayed in the Hotel Nauvoo in the very same room we stayed in a few years ago, which is now affectionately known as the Poo-Hotel in our family thanks to tiny Noah's urgent need for a bathroom on an icy, dark night in February long ago.
While Jason was in meetings I was kayaking on the Mississippi River!
It was quite cloudy and windy, so it felt like we were paddling for hours, only to turn around and realize we had hardly made any distance at all. But we kept our eyes on the bright temple on the hill and were reminded that it's not the pace that we go that is nearly as important as the direction. (And then eventually we all gave up and headed back to shore for lunch.)
We have learned so much from the wonderful people that we get to interact with in this calling, and even though we have four more years to serve, we are already having conversations about how to best spend the rest of our time and just how much we'll miss some aspects of this work. We had a great brainstorming session on the drive home as well, which was my favorite part of the weekend.
We had lots of happy summer moments at home in August- Laney was super invested in this card game in the sunroom.
I love these little piggies!
Emma had her first taste of show choir this summer and she rocked it!
I have a feeling show choir is in our future.
She's already got her own makeup station!
Emma perfected the 'toad-in-a-hole' breakfast this summer.
Twinsies!
Leah went on a double date!
Playdates with buddies made every summer day even better!
Adam was in charge of Human Battleship at church.
Laney loved playing with the leftover water balloons.
I don't know why the boys insisted on hot chocolate in the middle of summer. It was SO. HOT. in August.
Our library summer reading efforts earned us tickets to the I-Cubs game!
It was drizzly for most of the night and the game was pretty boring, so we didn't stay until the end. Look at those soggy shirts!
But we made sure to stop by Emma's old boyfriend for a quick hello.
It is the greatest privilege of my life to get to walk with these best friends.
Tree climbing is a summer must-do!
Poor Noah, sometimes being the smallest of the bunch means he has to do silly things like this because he's the only one who fits anymore.
I made the bittersweet decision in August to pause teaching piano lessons this school year. I've had a few sad moments but mostly I am excited to see what is in store instead.
This was a very happy day! We went most of the summer without a broken dishwasher- Jason gave his full due diligence in fixing it but eventually we had to face the facts and replace it. In August it finally arrived!
We didn't see enough of Leah in August because she was busy with color guard practice! She has dedicated a great big chunk of her life to color guard and she loves it!
And before we knew it school was just around the corner, but we had a few other big events to enjoy in August first.



%20(1).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment