Friday, May 21, 2010

Random Thoughts for a Rainy Afternoon

I made indoor s'mores today. They take me right back to my mom's kitchen, where we all stand around and pick out the marshmallow-est pieces while chatting. Yum.

Never say never. I swore several years ago that I'd *never* live without a dishwasher again. While we technically do have one, I'm pretty sure the dishes come out dirtier than they were when I put them in. We've been washing dishes by hand for about a month now, and haven't looked back once. (Plus, Jason prefers doing dishes by hand, and there's just something kinda sexy about a man up to his elbows in bubbles.)

I've been thinking a lot about balance lately. As in, how do I balance motherhood, housework, and me-time? How do I know when I've struck the right balance? Obviously I haven't yet, or I wouldn't keep badgering myself about it.

It has been raining A. LOT. lately. And every time it rains, I can feel my hair get a little poofier, and the carpet get a little soggier. Love the green, though.

We've been dealing with wet-the-bed issues for about a month now. I have a rank of the Worst Smells In The World, and wet-the-bed is third only to burnt eggs (No. 2) and fresh fruit rotting in a hot car (No. 1, by FAR). We've started waking Leah up to go to the bathroom before we go to bed. Another thing I said I would *never* do. But guess what? It works! Now if I could just figure out why she's having this sudden set-back...

I came across this picture (on the left) the other day... oh, how I wish I could say that I was 9 months pregnant here, but this was in 2005, when Leah wasn't even a twinkle in her daddy's eye. I am always amazed at how much weight I have gained and lost over the years without really noticing. The picture on the right was last month when I got my hair cut.

So, this picture has inspired me to try and exercise more. I love the Wii Fit Plus. I'm so sad that my weight-loss program (read: nursing) is coming to an end. That's the selfish reason, of course I'm also slightly sad that my little man is growing up so fast.

I used to run. Kind of. A mile or two on a treadmill a few times a week. I'd like to be a Runner, but for some reason I'm scared to start. I'm not sure you can mess this one up, but I am letting my fear of getting it right keep me from actually doing it.

And now, naptime is over, so this post is, too!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

i have to agree w/ you that there is something sexy about men hand washing dishes! :) and Melanie- you look FABULOUS... running shmunning. (I'm not a big fan of it, that's for sure.)

christa said...

I hate running but it's the ideal exercise, right? free, doesn't take that long and burns the most calories. I started running recently, I don't love it but I can run 2 miles pretty easily (if I have to). A group of the girls in my neighborhood just started a running group...it's fun...mostly there's people breathing down my neck if I don't go and that's always helpful! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...