Thursday, October 14, 2010

Try This At Home

Jason and I have a long history of blowing things up in the microwave together.  One of the first times he came to my apartment (he was my roommate's home teacher) we blew up Peeps.  They get huge!  Then there was the time that I accidentally blew up an egg just minutes before I was supposed to leave for work- and my sweet husband cleaned up the mess for me.  Jason also taught me how to make hot chocolate in the microwave, but thankfully that hasn't involved any blowing up... yet. 

A quick side story- our first microwave was a hand-me-down from a hand-me-down from a hand-me-down.  It was about 3 cubic feet large and covered in brown wood paneling, but it worked great, at first.  Eventually, the light bulb burned out, the beeping sounds stopped, and about half the time the microwave just stopped working in the middle of cooking something.  No big deal, unless we were cooking kettle corn... we had a thing for kettle corn for a while... When my sweet mom heard about our barely-functioning microwave, she declared it simply wouldn't do, and promptly replaced ours with a new one.  Thanks, Mom!  Smaller, bright white, a turning plate, and it even had pre-set cooking options.  Popcorn!  Baked potatoes!  Veggies!  It was quite the step up.  So we posted the old hunk-o-junk on  craigslist- with full disclosure of it's quirks- and you know what?  Someone took it!  I have full faith that, somewhere, that microwave is still going strong.

Okay, back to last night.  When Jason brought home fresh picked popping corn from the farm last night, we knew right where it should go.
  It seems our kids share our love for sticking things in the microwave and hoping for the best.
 Have you ever tried popping an ear of corn in the microwave?  It was so cool- and tasty, too!  In some strange way, it made me feel like a Native American or a pioneer... back to our country's roots of gathering around the campfire, I guess.  Take that, Orville Redenbacher!
Family entertainment- score another point for the many amazing uses of corn.

And another successful microwave adventure!  
What else can you blow up in the microwave?  I'd love to find out.

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

that is too fun!

beapinkal said...

wow-that sure looks like fun.

whitney said...

I didn't even know you could do that! How cool!

I'm afraid our microwave escapades aren't nearly as cool as y'alls.

Jessica said...

That is really cool! I would have never thought.

Try putting an old cd in the microwave.... just for a few seconds...

Helena said...

Never knew! We'll have to try it.

Julia and Aaron said...

That is neat! I've never seen popped corn on the cob:).

I was going to say that maybe we could meet up on the 22nd at a park for VTing. What do you think?

Are you doing Boo at the Zoo this week? It starts Wednesday evening and tickets are available for a dollar less at PEFCU!

jaredhenscheid said...

Ha! I've always wondered if you could do that with an ear of corn.. Have you ever tried Peep Jousting? Put TWO Peeps in the microwave facing each other, each with a toothpick sticking out of him. As they expand in the microwave, one will pop the other- the pop-ee looses :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...