Monday, September 18, 2017

Cub Scouts So Far

"I just know I'm going to win the whole race, Mom."  
That's what Adam told me the night of the Raingutter Regatta- his first big event in Cub Scouts.  He worked so hard on his boat- he even took it to Utah so he could get extra help on it from Scoutmaster Extraordinaire Grandpa Mark- and it turned out great.
 When the big night came, he was prepared!
 And he did win some of the races!
 And he lost some too.  There were a few frustrating moments when his boat got stuck or the sail got turned around, or he took his eyes off his own boat and looked at his competitor instead of the finish line.  But he stayed with it to the end and came home with a truth-telling ribbon and a few ideas of how to improve for next year.
I can already tell that scouting is going to teach Adam a lot of things that a good boy needs to know to grow up to be a good man.  He can already tell me that a scout is "trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty brave, clean and reverent" and that a scout "does a good turn daily" and that "on my honor, I will do my best.  To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."  

Even if he doesn't know what all of those words mean just yet, I'm glad that he's learning them and heading down a straight and narrow path!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...